- 160g potato flour*
- 85g fine rice flour*
- 85g tapioca flour*
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp – 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp cold water
- fine rice flour, extra, for rolling & cutting
- To serve
- 50g butter
- 150g parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, basil and chives
- freshly ground salt and black peppercorns
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer. Place the flours, gum and salt into mixing bowl. Mix on speed 1 until well combined. Add eggs, oil and water, mix lightly until mixture comes together. Change to dough hook, knead on speed 2 for 4 minutes or until soft and smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and stand 10 minutes, this helps prevent the dough from being sticky.
- Attach pasta roller and lightly flour with the extra flour. Cut dough into 4 thick slices. Press out lightly with your finger tips to flatten. Turn to speed 4, add the dough through setting no. 1 and roll (be gentle as dough is soft in texture). Fold dough in half lengthwise and place back into roller with the widest edge going into the roller (this will give you a wide pasta sheet)*.
- Put through the roller again (do not fold in half any more). Change roller to no.2 and roll pasta sheet through once more.
- Place on a floured surface and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Initially cut the pasta by hand, as desired. After a little experience, attach the fettuccine cutter and dust with extra flour. Feed through each pasta sheet and place cut fettuccine onto a floured surface.
- Cook fettuccine in a large pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes, drain well. Return to the saucepan. Toss the hot pasta with butter, parmesan and herbs. Season to taste and serve immediately.
- Be patient with the dough mixture. If the dough is too wet, add a little more flour; if the dough is too dry, add a little more water.
- For best results, please use scales to weigh ingredients.
- Approximate conversions:
- potato flour : 1 1/3 cups plus 2 tsp
- fine rice: 2/3 cup
- tapioca : 2/3 cup (minus 2 tsp as may be too dry)
- Being gluten free this pasta needs to be handled gently.