- 110g plain flour
- 175g white sugar
- 45g (or 6 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
For vanilla whipped cream
- 400ml thickened cream
- 65g white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
For rum cherries
- 200g cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 25g white sugar
- 2 tsp rum
For chocolate ganache
- 50g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa, finely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) thickened cream
- KitchenAid Light & Shadow stand mixer
- To make the rum cherries combine cherries, white sugar and vanilla bean paste in a small bowl, stir to combine and set aside to let marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 160C, and line a cupcake tin with 12 paper cases.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix on low to combine.
- Add the egg, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, milk, and boiling water to the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the lined cupcake tins and bake for 20-25 mins or until an inserted toothpick emerges with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream in a small saucepan or microwave until steaming.
- Pour over the finely chopped chocolate and cover with a plate, allow to sit for 5 mins or until the chocolate has completely melted. Stir until smooth, and set aside.
- Combine the thickened cream, sugar and vanilla bean paste in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, and whisk on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a round piping tip.
- To assemble, cut a small cavity in the centre of each cupcake and add 1 tbsp of rum cherries to the centre.
- Pipe a dollop of whipped cream on top of the cupcake and a drizzle of cooled chocolate ganache. Top with a cherry, and enjoy!
Our most adored dishes
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh
- press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection