Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Makes 12-15 tacos
- Carne Asada marinade
- 1 medium onion, cut to fit feed tube
- 2 jalapeños, stem and some seeds removed, cut in half
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup corainder
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg skirt steak, cut into 2.5cm strips
- 200g sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 - 1 1/4 cup warm water
- Pickled red onion
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Attach slicing disc to KitchenAid® 7 Cup Food Processor. Cut onions to fit feed tube and process on high to slice. Remove from work bowl and set aside. Exchange slicing disc for multipurpose blade. Place sliced onion, jalapeño, garlic and cilantro in bowl and pulse 6 to 7 times to chop into medium-small pieces. Transfer to a large non-reactive bowl and add remaining marinade ingredients, whisking to combine. Add skirt steak to bowl and toss to cover all pieces. Cover and chill 4 to 8 hours.
- Remove multipurpose blade and attach shredding disc to food processor. Cut cheese to fit into large feed tube and shred on high speed. Transfer to airtight bowl and store in refrigerator until needed.
- To make tortilla dough for your mexican taco, attach clean work bowl and multi purpose blade to food processor. Add flour and salt and pulse a few times to blend. Add cubed lard and pulse 5 to 6 times until mixture resembles sand. With machine running, slowly pour warm water in through small feed tube, until dough forms a ball. Transfer to lightly floured surface and knead 8 to 10 times. Cover and let rest 30 to 60 minutes.
- Tear off golf ball size pieces of dough and roll on a lightly floured surface until very thin. It is ok to have irregular shapes. Place tortilla on parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough, layering parchment between tortillas. Dough should make 12 to15 tortillas.
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill to medium high heat. Remove steak from marinade and grill 2 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Heat cast iron griddle over medium heat. Cook tortillas 1 minute per side or until they begin to bubble and light brown spots appear. Can be made in stainless or non-stick skillet, if cast iron is not available.
- Serve carne asada tacos with tortillas with steak, cheese and desired toppings and enjoy the taste of this mexican recipe!