- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- good pinch salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 30ml extra light olive oil
- extra flour, for dusting
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 x 250g frozen packet chopped spinach, defrosted and excess liquid squeezed out
- 500g tub cottage cheese
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 200g parmesan, grated
- 150g mozzarella, grated
- 2 eggs
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- ¼ ground nutmeg
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- freshly ground salt and black peppercorns, to taste
- 500ml (2 cups) of your favourite tomato sauce
Cannelloni pasta recipe
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer. Place flour, salt, eggs and oil into mixing bowl. Turn mixer to speed 2 and mix until mixture is well combined. Attach the dough hook. Turn mixer to speed 2 and knead for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest (refrigerate if desired) for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Cut dough into 4 even sections. Attach pasta sheet roller to stand mixer. Take one section of dough and pat out to flatten. Adjust the roller setting to 1. Turn mixer to speed 4 and feed the dough into rollers. Fold dough in half and feed through again. Repeat this step twice. Adjusting the rollers to setting 2 then 3, then 4, then finally setting 5 for each roll. If dough is sticking to the rollers, use the extra flour for dusting.
- Remove the cannelloni sheet and place on a pasta drying rack or lightly floured surface. Repeat with remaining dough until you have 4 sheets of pasta.
- Trim each sheet to rectangle pieces about 15 x 12 cm.
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Cook the onion, garlic and oil in frying pan until softened. Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer. Add the softened onion, spinach, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, half of the parmesan and mozzarella, eggs, lemon, nutmeg and parsley to the bowl. Season to taste. Turn to speed 4 and mix until well combined.
- Spoon about ½ cup filling onto each pasta sheet gently roll up fill the ends with a little extra filling. Place seam side down into a large baking dish.
- Pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella. Bake for 45 minutes covered with greased foil. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Stand 5 minutes before serving.
- The spinach and ricotta cannelloni filling can be made the day before and refrigerated.