- 225g (11⁄2 cups) plain flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 125g chilled butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tbsp chilled water (optional)
- 250g tub mascarpone or light cream cheese, well chilled
- 2 tbsp pure icing sugar
- 2 tbsp rum
- 200ml double cream or pure cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 fresh ripe yet firm figs or fresh nectarines, peaches or pears
Prepare the pastry:
- Fit the bowl and multipurpose blade to the KitchenAid 13 cup food processor. Add the flour and sugar, pulse to combine.
- Select speed 2 and with the motor running, quickly add the chilled butter and process for10 seconds until the butter cuts into the flour (it will look like very coarse breadcrumbs).
- Add the egg yolk and pulse until a dough begins to form, if required add the chilled water a little at a time. Do not over process the dough. Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Clean bowl and return to the KitchenAid 13 cup food processor.
For the filling and fruit:
- Add the mascarpone, icing sugar, cream, rum and vanilla to the KitchenAid 13 cup food processor bowl. Cover and pulse 5-6 seconds or until just combined. Do not over process.
- Refrigerate cream until assembling tarts.
- Set a few of the figs aside for serving. These can be simply quartered or thinly sliced to be fanned across the top of the tart. The tarts have a secret fruit layer in the base.
To blind bake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C (160 ̊C fan forced). Allow the pastry to soften and thinly roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper. Cut into 4 circles suitable to line the base of 4 individual small shallow flan tins (approximately 8 cm). The pastry can be reformed and rerolled as required.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and then fill with pastry beads or baking beans. Bake for 20 minutes, remove the pastry beads and bake for another 8 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Allow to cool and remove from tins.
Assemble the flan:
- Place a layer of the thinly sliced fruit in the base of each tart shell. Top with the mascarpone cream and either decorate with the remaining fruit slices or quartered pieces.
- Chill until serving.