Deliciously easy and fun to make with the kids, these gingerbread men are perfect Christmas treat. There’s nothing like a batch of fresh gingerbread men out of the oven, with a glass of milk! Shape them into gingerbread stars to hang from your Christmas tree!
- 2.5 cups flour
- 125g butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk (save egg white for icing)
- 1 tsp bi carb soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 ½ cups pure icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Food colouring of your choice
- Preheat oven to 180℃
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of the stand mixer, attach the flat beater and mix on speed 6 until pale (4-5 minutes)
- Add the egg yolk and beat well.
- Turn the mixer off and attach the sifter scale attachment to the attachment hub of the mixer and sift in dry ingredients, turn off mixer and remove attachment when ingredients are incorporated
- Add the golden syrup mixing well.
- Place mixture onto a floured surface and knead lightly to bring it all together.
- Cut the dough in half, take one half and roll between two sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick.
- Gently remove the top piece of paper, cut out gingerbread using your choice of cutter.
- Place on a greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.