Prep time 25 minutes (plus dough proving time)
Cook time 1 hour
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, coarsely crushed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 200g cherry tomatoes, thickly sliced, to serve
- Small leaves, such as mint, basil and nasturtium leaves, to serve
- 550g plain flour
- 300g natural yoghurt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 280g (1½ cups) dried chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 heaped tbsp tahini
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- For hummus, combine soaked chickpeas in a large saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer until chickpeas are very tender (1 hour). Set aside to cool completely in the water. Drain chickpeas and transfer to your KitchenAid K400 blender (reserve a few for serving, if desired) with remaining ingredients, a large pinch salt and ¼ cup to ½ cup chickpea cooking water, or enough to help blend the mixture until very smooth. Season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- For flatbreads, combine ingredients and 160ml cold water in a KitchenAid stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and knead until a smooth but sticky dough forms. If dough is to dry add a splash more water. Divide the dough into eight and roll out each piece to a 5mm-thick round on a flour-dusted surface. Heat a large non-stick frying pan or chargrill pan over high heat. Brush dough lightly with oil, then fry, or grill, turning once until golden and cooked through (2-3 minutes each side).
- To serve, dry-roast cumin seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat until fragrant (10-20 seconds). Add olive oil and season to taste. Spread hummus over large serving plates - you can scatter over any remaining chickpeas also - then spoon oil over and scatter with tomatoes and fresh herbs if using and serve with warm flatbreads on the side.
Note: Using dried, soaked and cooked chickpeas will give you the best flavour here, but alternatively, you can use good quality canned chickpeas. If using canned chickpeas, blend with chilled water in place of the chickpea water.