Prep time - 1 hour
Cook time - 1 hour
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3-4 cups whole milk, warm
- pinch of fresh nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 500g ground chuck
- 500g ground pork
- 4 pieces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 2 boxes no-boil lasagne noodles
- 3 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 d. Coat 30 x 20xm pan with olive oil.
- For Béchamel, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to form a paste. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add milk in a slow stream, 2-3 tablespoons at a time whisking constantly. Heat until sauce comes to a simmer begins to thicken. Reduce heat and continue to cook 2-3 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- For Bolognese, Heat olive oil over medium heat in large stock pot. Add vegetables, beef, pork and pancetta; cook breaking up meat with a spoon until moisture is almost evaporated and meat is browned, 20-25 minutes.
- Add wine to pot and bring to a boil, scrapping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is almost completely evaporated, 6-8 minutes. Add tomatoes and 2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, adding water a little at a time if needed. Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 hours. Let sauce cool
- Spread a thin layer of bolognese over bottom of pan. Then a layer of lasagne noodles. Top with another layer of bolognese (about 1 cup) then a drizzle of Béchamel (1 cup). Sprinkle with 1 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat this layering process until pan is full, making sure the last layer is parmesan cheese.
- Place pan on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20-25 minutes until bubbling and brown. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving.