- The starter (begin up to 12 to 24 hours before)
- 2 cups (300g) bread (strong) flour
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- pinch caster sugar
- 250ml warm water
- The bread
- 3½ cups (480g) bread (strong) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1x 7g sachet yeast
- 150ml warm water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- For the starter
- Attach either the flat beater or flex edge beater and the mixing bowl to your stand mixer and add the starter ingredients: the flour, yeast, sugar and warm water. Turn to speed 4 and mix to a paste. Remove to a clean mixing bowl.*
- Cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm, dark place. Stir twice a day to help prevent a thick skin forming. The paste will become bubbly and have a pleasant, light yeasty smell.
- 12 to 24 hours later
- Attach a dry clean mixing bowl to the stand mixer fitted with either the flat beater or flex edge beater. Add the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Turn to speed 1 and mix until combined.
- Add 200g (about 1 cup) of the starter *(refrigerate the remaining in a sealed container), warm water and oil. Mix on speed 2 until smooth. Change to the dough hook and knead on speed 2 for 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth.
- Remove dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and leave until doubled in size. This takes about 1½ hours in a warm, draft free place.
- Punch down the dough and return to the stand mixer. Using the dough hook, knead for a further 2 minutes. Place the dough into the desired shape onto a lightly floured baking sheet and sprinkle the dough with extra flour. Set aside for 40 minutes or until doubled in size. With a sharp knife, lightly and quickly score the top of the loaf, if desired.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C (200C fan forced).
- Place an oven proof dish filled with water in the bottom of the oven (this will help give a super crunchy crust on the outside and a fluffy interior to the bread).
- Bake loaf for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 200C (180C fan forced) and bake a further 20 minutes or until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 large loaf
- Place the remaining 'starter' in a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days, ready for the next loaf.
- Additional 2.8L or 4.8L mixing bowls are available for purchase.