Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 bunches English spinach, washed, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g Greek feta, crumbled
- 1 cup (120g) grated cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 60g butter
- 12 sheets of filo pastry
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Place spinach into ta bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, drain spinach well and squeeze out any excess liquid. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes; set aside to cool. Mix together the feta, grated cheese and eggs. Spoon in cooled spinach mixture and mix well.
- Place butter into a Pyrex jug or bowl and place onto turntable. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Grease a square 6 cup capacity microwave and oven-safe ceramic baking dish with melted butter.
- Working with one sheet at a time, brush sheet with butter and lay onto a flat work surface. Brush a second sheet of pastry and place on top of the first buttered filo sheet. Repeat until you have 4 layers. Drape over prepared baking dish.
- Brush and layer the next 4 sheets and place across the baking dish in a cross pattern so that pastry is overhanging on each sided of the dish.
- Spoon filling inside and spread evenly. Fold edges over to enclose, crimping up the edges into the sides
- Brush four remaining sheets of filo and crumple roughly. Place over the top of the pie neatly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- At the end of the cooking time, pastry should be golden and crisp and filling cooked through. Allow pie to stand for 10 minutes before cutting up and serving.