Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
50 g Cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100 g Italian parsley
- 115 ML olive oil
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese
- 2.5 ML fresh black pepper
Tuscan Bean and Pumpkin Soup
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm chunks
- 1 rib celery, cut into 2.5 cm chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 small redskin potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic
- 30 mL olive oil
- 2 cans cannelli beans, drained and rinsed
- 225 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 5 cm chunks (can substitute butternut squash)
- 1 425 g can chopped tomatoes
- 500 – 775 mL vegetable stock or water
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 mL sea salt
- 1 bunch swiss chard, thinly sliced
- 75 mL fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
To make pesto: attach multipurpose blade to KitchenAid® 3.5 Cup Food Processor. Place cashews and garlic in work bowl and pulse 3 to 4 times until finely chopped. Remove cashews into separate bowl. Add parsley and parmesan cheese and pulse until finely minced. Return chopped walnuts and garlic to work bowl and pulse 2 to 3 times to combine. With Food Processor running on low speed, pour olive oil into the drizzle basin so oil slowly drizzles into pesto. Set aside until ready to use. Can be made 2 days ahead and stored in refrigerator.
- Set KitchenAid® Multi-Cooker to Soup setting. Heat oil on Soup/Step 1. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add potatoes and add enough water just to cover. Press button for Soup/Step 2 and set timer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes is up add chopped pumpkin, beans, tomatoes, vegetable stock, rosemary, bay leaf and salt. Press button for Soup/Step 3 cover and set timer for 20 minutes. Add chard and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with black pepper to taste.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with a 1 to 2 teaspoons of the Parsley Pesto.
Makes 8 servings